Monday, February 14, 2011

"The children know that you love them inside their hearts."




Good Day America!

Hello to everyone, to my dedicated readers, I apologize for the delay. Again. Sometimes Ukraine distracts me from getting in contact with the blog so I sincerely apologize. Life has been moving at a fast pace but I am still keeping up. Teaching consumes the majority of my time but that's exactly how I want it. I am connecting more and more with my students and I, myself, am learning more Ukrainian with my 4th form which has become very helpful.

My birthday was this past weekend! Yes, I turned the big 24. I spent the weekend in Kolky with two of my very dear friends, Benjamin and Peter Narayan. Peter made the big trip up from south of Lviv, which I couldn't have been more happy about. Peter was such a good friend of mine during training, seeing his face made my birthday all the more special. We spent time in Kolky making meals, laughing and just enjoying each other's company. Relaxation was the goal and that goal was accomplished. I recieved a lovely package from my grandma Diane. She must have read my mind because everything in the package was exactly what I was going to go to the store for the next day! She sent delicious cookies, soaps, candy and other essentials that are hard to find in Ukraine. So thank you so much, grandma, you truly are a lifesaver. Thank you.

Today I ventured to school and was greeted by the song "happy birthday" from a Ukrainian language teacher, she said she had been practicing. As students passed by me in the halls, the word had spread that it had been my birthday. My first lesson with the 7th form turned into a musical jam session with instruments being played and many songs being sung. It was wonderful. The students bought me flowers and candy. I proceeded to my 11th form class and they had gone to town! The room was decorated with balloons and drawing and hearts everywhere. They had gotten me some beautiful flowers with candy and sang me happy birthday as well. I felt so loved. My teachers and I celebrated at the break with cake and drinks. My college, Tatiana Micolivna, purchased me a traditional Ukrainian bells that are to be hung in the house to fend of anything evil. They are beautiful. I recieved a picture of my other collegue and I dancing at her birthday party a few weeks back. Another english teacher bought me a gigantic book about Ukraine, full of pictures and captions in both english and ukrainian. I feel so blessed to have a school that is that appreciative, it reminds me that this experience is a two way street for all of us, we are all taking and giving so much to each other, even in the smallest of ways.

Thank you to all who sent birthday greetings, it was such a treat to hear from the United States on such a day. Everyone that made phone calls and sent emails, they were all cherished. I love each and every one of you and think about you often. Have a great week!

Love you all. Continue to spread peace.

1 comment:

  1. Miss you, Val. I had to watch some of the videos of you on Facebook... Made me cry. Wish I could come visit. Love you.

    ReplyDelete